Monday 26 September 2011

Author Interview: Paul Oliver Westmoreland

Paul Oliver Westmoreland has written Cardsharp.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Paul Oliver Westmoreland and I my home is in North London. 

2. Do you have a pen name?
POW, which comes from my initials. 


3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My book is called Cardsharp. It’s an action-adventure novel set in the murky art smuggling underworld. 

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
YES! Right now I'm writing book two called Double Dealer and it follows on from Cardsharp. 

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I've been writing for about 10 years, but Cardsharp is the first novel I've put online. I started reading quite late, but I enjoyed it so much I started having ideas myself and they grew into stories and I went from there. 

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes, I'm after all the reviews I can get and so far everyone who's written back to me loved the story. I'll happily send a free copy to anyone who would kindly write me a review. Just get in touch. 

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I designed it myself and it was a lot of fun. I love old James Bond movie posters with loads of stuff bursting out of them, and I wanted my cover to show everything going on in it. It was great fun too. 


8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Cardsharp comes from a painting by Caravaggio that features in my book, and starts Vincent, my main character on his adventure. The book also recounts the life of Caravaggio through the adventure, and the title relates to a final twist at the end, so it was relevant and I thought it sounded cool. 

9. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
No, I'm very happy with it. If there was something to change, I'd amend it and put out the new version. 

10. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don't have one, but I've thought about it. They get a very mixed reaction from readers, though. Good reviews still seem to persuade most people to try a book. 

11. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
You can get an ebook of cardsharp, but I’ve not got into them yet. The iPad does offer a wealth of mixed media and interactive options for books that could interest a lot of non-readers, so they could be great. Personally I like paperbacks, but that's what I'm used to. 


12. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes. I used to have an agent who represented me on another project, but she retired, so I struck out on my own. 

13. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I often re-read books I like, it’s essential for a young writer. I also re-read Tuesdays with Morrie, every few years because it somehow gives me new perspectives on life as I get older. It's amazing and weird. 

14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I'm reading a research novel called Art Crime. It's a true story and fascinating. 

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Enjoy it and learn from rejection. All feedback should help you, and you only get it by writing and putting it out there. 


16. Where can your readers follow you? 


Blog: www.powbooks.com 


Facebook page: POW Books 


Goodreads author page: POW 


Amazon: Cardsharp: A Vincent Ward Adventure 


Other: Cardsharp is also available on Lulu.com 





Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment