Wednesday 23 November 2011

Author Interview: Brandon West



Brandon West has written Scarlet And The Keepers Of The Light.




1.  What is your name and where do you call home? 
My name is Brandon Charles West and live in Virginia, although as the son of an Army Officer and a former Soldier myself, I have called numerous countries and states home of the years.  Virginia, however, will always be where I think of as home.

2.  Do you have a pen name?
No

3.  What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My new novel is titled Scarlet and the Keepers of the Light. It chronicles the adventures of Scarlet and her companions as they fight against the evil Thanerbos and his plans to rule over both the magical and non-magical worlds.

4.  Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Scarlet and the Keepers of the Light is the first in a series of five planned books for young adults.  The next in the series, do out next year is titled Scarlet and the Dragon’s Burden.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I have been writing since before I can remember.  I started writing detective stories when I was a kid and then transitioned into writing thrillers and spy novels as I got older.  My eldest daughter and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone are what inspired me to begin the Scarlet series.  After years of writing for adults, I realized, watching my daughter’s face as I read the Potter series to her, that I had the best audience anyone could ask for right in my own home.  I started Scarlet and the Keepers of the Light and the fell in love with the genre.  

6.  Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
At this time I have a limited ability to gift books, but will consider on case-by-case basis.  Contact me at Fortoldon@gmail.com with any requests.  Kindle editions will be the easiest for me to gift.

7.  How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I designed the cover of the book using a silhouette of my daughter and our rather large German Shepherd, Leah.  Both were a perfect fit for two of the main characters in the book, Scarlet and Dakota. 

8.  How did you come up with the title for your book?
The title is based on the first magical creatures Scarlet encounters in the novel and her first introduction into the magical world, Satorium. 

9.  Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Although I’m sure over time there will be little nuances here and there that I’ll be critical of, on the whole I’m rather proud ofKeepers and wouldn’t want to change it. 

10.  Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I do, it is currently posted on YouTube and my blog.  I made it using imovie and I’ll admit that it was a blast to make.  Thus far, it hasn’t received many hits, so I’m not sure of its merit in translating to actual publicity, but it was definitely worth making, if only for personal enjoyment. 

11. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I greatly appreciate the way e-books have opened up the access authors and readers have to one another and wealth of titles that are now available.  I am also a huge fan of a well read audiobook.  The Harry Potter series, the Lord of the Rings, and many of the Robert Ludlum tittles are even better in their audio formats for me and I highly recommend them.  That being said, I still prefer a new hardback book, especially from a favorite author on release day.  There’s something very special about having the book in my hands and seeing it on my library shelve after I’m done.  I’m a bit of a bibliophile.  The only thing better is a old rare hardback you find in a used book store.  

12. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I am self published.

13. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I’ve mentioned the Harry Potter series.  I read them for myself and them read them aloud to my daughters.  Anything by Dr. Seuss has been read countless times in my house.  My favorite book, and one of the only I have read purely for my own enjoyment multiple times is The Counte of Monte Cristo I have read it in several formats, unabridged, abridged and in French.  My favorite is the copy translated by Lord Blair.

14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’m reading Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin in hardback.

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Keep writing and do it firstly for yourself.  If you can’t enjoy the process itself, its not worth the effort and disappointment that comes hand in hand with writing.  The best advice I ever received personally was from Pat Conroy, who signed “write well,” in my copy of Beach Music.

16. Where can your readers follow you?


Facebook page: 



Twitter: @fortoldon

Amazon:



Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving writers this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted a link to your blog on my site. Thank you again for this interview. I would be happy to gift you a kindle version of my book if you would like. Just email me at fortoldon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete