Friday 4 November 2011

Author Interview: Carol R. Ward



Carol R. Ward has written An Elemental Wind.



1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Carol Ward and I call Cobourg, Ontario home.

2. Do you have a pen name?
Originally I was going to use my initials and my last name, C.R. Ward, but then J.R. Ward started publishing first and they’re just too similar.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My most recent book is An Elemental Wind. It’s about a woman with special abilities on a dangerous mission who finds help, and love, where she least expects it.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I always have plans for new books! An Elemental Wind is the first in a five part series called the Ardraci Elementals. I’m getting close to finishing the next one in the series – Fire.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I think I was born writing . . . poetry and short stories at first, and then longer fiction. I was very lucky in school that I had a series of teachers who encouraged creativity.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes I do.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
Isn’t the cover awesome? Heidi Sutherlin, of http://mycreativepursuits.com/index.html did the cover. It’s like she tapped into my subconscious, the woman on the cover is exactly the way I pictured the main character. Maybe even better!

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
It’s actually had three titles. When I first came up with the idea, many years ago, I called it Eye of the Beholder, I have no idea why. When I ran it in serialized form on my blog, I called it simply Space Opera, because that’s what it was. By the time it was close to being done, I came up with the name An Elemental Wind – she was an elemental, and her gift was the wind. It seemed logical. :-)

9. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Honestly? There’s nothing I’d change about it.

10. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don’t have a book trailer myself, but I’ve seen a few and they look pretty cool.

11. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
All three! I love my Kindle (his name is George) for the convenience. I have a massive collection of paperbacks that I wouldn’t dream of parting with and I have many hardcovers of my favourite authors, like Charles de Lint, Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey. I also love the old hardcover books I buy at book sales. I’ve never really tried audiobooks, but I imagine they’d be handy if I had to commute to work.

12. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes I am, and proud of it. I don’t have enough patience for the traditional, get an agent, find a publisher, hurry up and wait route.

13. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I’ve read many books more than once. I’ll read all of my favourite authors more than once, and if a new book takes a long time to come out in a series I’ll go back to read the whole series again. I think the book I’ve read the most is Terry Windling’s novel, The Woodwife.

14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Currently I’ve just started Fairytale by Maggie Shayne on my Kindle, and Night Echoes by Holly Lisle in print format.

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My advice to other writers is, if writing is what you really want to do, then don’t make excuses, just write. The best advice I was ever given was from my husband who told me: just finish something already!

16. Where can your readers follow you?

Blog:

Facebook page:

Goodreads author page:

Twitter:






Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment