Sunday 13 November 2011

Author Interview: Holly Barbo



Holly Barbo has written The Sage Seed Chronicles.


1. What is your name and where do you call home? 
It is really nice to meet you. I’m Holly Barbo and my home is in Bellingham which is in the Pacific Northwest corner of Washington State, USA.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
‘The Sage Seed Chronicles: The Unraveling’ is my newest book. Summing it up in 20 words is an interesting challenge.
Erin discovers surprising links between the multiple murders happening, her emerging psi skills, the dangerous planetary quakes and psychopathic killers.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
‘The Sage Seed Chronicles’ is the name of the series. The sequel to ‘The Unraveling’ is ‘The Reweaving’ which is due out at the end of November or the first of December. There are four books completed in the series with a fifth book brewing in my head.

4. How long have you been writing?
I have written many non fiction articles or opinion pieces for local and national publications since 2001 but these books came as a surprise to me. I had never planned on writing fiction until this book poured out of my fingertips and onto my computer taking on a life of its own.
This series started in the spring of 2009.

5. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
There are many raptors who live in the area. I have enjoyed their beauty and have been drawing and painting them for years. When the story developed it was natural that they be included as characters. I did the cover art for ‘The Unraveling’ which shows Keir the Merlin Falcon. Nuit, the Great Horned Owl is on ‘The Reweaving’ cover.

6. How did you come up with the title for your book?
The series title refers to the few people with unusual psi skills. They are “sages” and occur randomly in the population. The stories are about them. ‘The Unraveling’ relates to what is happening between the sages and their bond with their planet, Ose. Things are literally falling apart. 

7. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks? Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I would like to answer these two questions together. I used to read paperback and hardbound books. The publishers of that form of press have tightened down on the number of new authors they are accepting, due to the economy. 
My books are indie published. I was delighted to be picked up by a new indie publisher, Red Willow Digital Press. They liked my writing and the series. Primarily they publish in the e-book formats though I understand that eventually my books will be out as ‘Print-on-Demand’ paperbacks. Now I am enjoying my iPad, the ease of reading with it and the number of books I can buy for the same amount of money of one paperback book.

8. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I habitually read a book more than once. I have my favorite authors of which I will keep the books of theirs I have really enjoyed. Frequently those stories will develop into a series and then I am very glad that I held onto the books. I have the Harry Potter series, of course but also have several Anne McCaffrey series and Patricia McKillip’s Riddle Master of Hed trilogy. The authors and books in my re-read stash are too numerous to list.

9. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I am currently reading ‘Moon Dreams’ by M.A. Harris on my iPad.

10. Where can your readers follow you?

I have a regular blog that I started last year:

Since then I have designed a website for the series which has updates and more series information as well as a blog:

You can also reach me on twitter: 
@sageseedseries

Book sites:
Amazon: 

Smashwords:

B&N:

Publisher site:



Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I so enjoy drawing birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another articulate interview by Holly. I am really looking forward to her second book.

    ReplyDelete