Tuesday 1 November 2011

Author Interview: Mary Chase



Mary Chase has written The Fool's Journey.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Mary Chase     Portland, Oregon, USA

2. Do you have a pen name?
I began writing as Mary Chase Comstock and you will find my Regency romances under that name. After I divorced Mr. Comstock, I went back to my maiden name – but answer to just about anything.
 
3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
The Fool’s Journey 
Deirdre thinks she’s escaped her dark past, but the tarot says otherwise. She’ll learn nothing stays buried that’s not dead.
 
4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I thought this would be a stand alone book, but when I finished writing it I found myself thinking more and more about a secondary character, Rosa Ruiz, a psychic cleaning lady who reads tarot. Now, I’ve decided to see what other adventures cross her path and continue with her as the amateur detective in a series of tarot card mysteries.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
Inspired by artist/author Edward Gorey, I wrote my first picture book when I was about 10 years old. Like all writers, however, I had been in love with stories since before that and can think of no better way to be a part of the world than by creating new worlds for readers to enjoy. My first published book was set in Regency England. I called it What Price Propriety? but the publisher changed the title to An Impetuous Miss.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?  
Yes, I do, both in digital and print formats when possible. My backlist of romances are only available in ebook form.

7.  How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?          
I had this cover in mind all the time I was writing. I wanted to show all the story elements “at a glance.” I described the ideas to my friend Andrea Paulus who lives in California and owns www.thinicedesign.com . She did the actual artwork.

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
It was an accident. Until I did research on tarot, I didn’t realize that my protagonist’s story was like the journey of the Fool in tarot. Understanding that presented me with the title.

9. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I don’t like audio books unless the narrator is really accomplished and the story is really good. As for the rest, I will read in whatever format a book finds itself to me. B-books are great for travel, though, and I do enjoy have the sequel to a good book delivered to me while I am still in my pajamas! Sometimes I hate getting out of bed.

10. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I am now, although I began in the traditional way. The market has shrunk for economic reasons. Print publishers are reluctant to take chances on books they’re not sure will sell, so it’s very difficult to try new things in writing and be assured of a spot on the bookstore shelf. I submitted The Fool’s Journey many times, but editors told me it wasn’t what readers wanted. I decided I’d rather leave that decision to the readers, so I am going independent for now.

11. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I have read many books more than once: all of Jan Austen and Georgetter Heyer, for instance.

12. What book are you reading at the moment?
I just finished The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides and started Dying for a Blue Plate Special by my friend, Beth Kalikoff.

13. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
I think too many people wait to write their book until they “have time.”  If you wait for that, you may never write. I found that when I was working full time I could write a book a year if I wrote for half an hour a day. I also found that my writing was no more prolific when I finally did have time to do more. Also, don’t try to work in a vacuum. Join a critique group and see what others think and ensure that what you are writing makes sense.

14. Where can your readers follow you?


Twitter: marylchase




Barnes & Noble: http://tinyurl.com/3b8oe2p
 



Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment