Wednesday 9 November 2011

Author Interview: Stephen Goldin


Stephen Goldin has written Shrine Of The Desert Mage.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Stephen Goldin, and I currently live in San Ramon, a suburb east of Oakland in the San Francisco Bay Area of California.


2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Shrine of the Desert Mage (1st book of the 4-volume Parsina Saga, an Arabian Nights-style fantasy epic). Jafar al-Sharif, an impoverished storyteller, must impersonate a mighty wizard to save the world and his teenage daughter's life.


3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I'm currently halfway through the rough draft of Jade Darcy: Run Out Of West, a prequel to my wife's and my previous Jade Darcy adventures.


4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I've been writing for 51 years, ever since I got a typewriter for my 13th birthday. I used to play with small plastic spacemen and made up stories about them, and I read other great stories by authors like Robert A. Heinlein and Andre Norton. My own writing has been a logical extension of those activities.


5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Indeed I do. I give review copies to established critics and bloggers. Readers who publish a review of one of my books in at least 3 places can get a Smashwords coupon for another ebook free. Check out the details of my ROGO Program at Parsina Press.


6. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don't presently have any book trailers because I don't have the equipment to make one. I think a good book trailer is a great sales tool, but they'd better be done carefully, because a badly done trailer could be a terrible turn-off for a potential reader.

7. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?

I love books in all formats, but a couple of years ago I started developing macular degeneration, so using my eyes to read is increasingly uncomfortable. These days I'm using audiobooks as my personal choice almost exclusively.

8. Are you a self-published / Indie author?

I like to think of myself as a hybrid. Most of my books were originally published by traditional publishers, but as rights have reverted to me I prefer to go the self-publishing/indie route to keep them in print. While I don't get the distribution that traditional publishing brings, I like the control I have over the way my work is handled.

9. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?

Many books, too numerous to list. A good book is like an old friend; you don't just talk to it once and discard it. If you enjoyed the book the first time, it's probably because the writer put enough good material in it to be savored again.

10. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?

I'm currently in the middle of (and thoroughly enjoying) Robert J. Sawyer's WWW trilogy in audiobook form, and I'm a little frustrated because it may be another month or so before the 3rd book is available in audiobook. Grrr.

11. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
The best advice I heard was from Ray Bradbury, who suggested you write a short story a week. At the end of a year, you'll have 52 stories, and he defied anyone to write 52 unsalable stories in a year. Now, frankly, I've seen people who can do that--but the point he's really making is that you'll develop discipline and get practice writing. If you have any talent at all, you're bound to improve after all that experience, because you'll start to actually see what you're doing. You'll see structure and style emerge, and that can only help the beginning writer.


12. Where can your readers follow you?

Blog: The Ingesterie, http://stephengoldin.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @stevegoldin

Other: Home page: http://stephengoldin.com/

Parsina Press (my online bookstore): http://parsina.com/


Smashwords: Shrine of the Desert Mage: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/78508 (multiple ebook formats)




Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment