Friday 18 November 2011

Author Interview: Suki Michelle


Suki Michelle has written The Apocalypse Gene.


1. What is your name and where do you call home? 
My full name is Suki Michelle Nacsa. I live with my co-writer and soul mate, Carlyle Clark in the Chicago area.

2. Do you have a pen name?
My pen name is Suki Michelle. I dropped the Nacsa because everyone, including me, tends to spell it wrong.  Carlyle doesn’t use a pen name.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My most recent book is The Apocalypse Gene, but it isn’t just mine. Carlyle and I wrote it together, a true collaboration.  Summary: Global pandemic is raging, far more than a mere disease. Only two psychic teens hold to key to its cure.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
The Apocalypse Gene is part of a series. Our publisher is eagerly awaiting the completion of the sequel. 

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I was inspired to write poetry when my daughter was born because my emotions were too overwhelming to contain. When I met Carlyle, who had been writing stories for many years, encouraged me to try my hand at prose, and I fell in love with storytelling, but I still use my poetic roots to express ideas and images.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
We love to give gift books in exchange for reviews, print or E-book.  It’s always a thrill to wait for the response. Most love it. Some have great suggestions, which we apply to our sequel.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
Carlyle and I conceived of the cover based on a scene that takes place in the cyber-world.  We described the idea to our publisher, and their art department produced it. We love our cover!

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I type medical reports all day, which is incredibly boring so I entertain myself with my imagination. One day, I thought – what if a pandemic happened, and its cure was outside the realm of medical science and into the hands of mystics? That was the seed of The Apocalypse Gene’s plot.

9. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
We love our book as it is, but that doesn’t mean we didn’t learn from writing it and getting honest reviews. The pacing is incredibly fast, which many readers enjoy, but some prefer to slow down a bit and chill more with the characters. We will apply that knowledge to our sequel, which will also be fast-paced and even deeper into character. 

10. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
We do have a book trailer. Here’s the link: http://youtu.be/anYcfv9AC9I
I’m not sure trailers actually result in book sales, but they can be a great hook for a potential reader to investigate further.

11. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I used to be a hardcore print-only reader, but since I got my Kindle, I’m in love with the convenience. Best of all, I can listen to audiobooks on it, which motivates me to go out and run. Exercise used to be boring. It’s not any more.

12. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
We are Indie authors. Our book was enthusiastically picked up by Parker Publishing, Inc., and we couldn’t be happier.

13. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I’ve read The Little Prince more times than I can count, to myself and aloud to my daughter when she was little.  It’s a lovely story.

14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’m “reading” two books right now. The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman on my Kindle.  I’m also listening to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. 

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Find a good online workshop and present your work for honest critique.  Be open to criticism. You learn the most from the feedback that hurts the most. Be prepared to delete even your most incredible prose if it doesn’t deepen character and/or advance the plot. Best advice? Get a thick skin.

16. Where can your readers follow you?




Twitter: @Suki_Michelle

Other: Carlyle’s Blog:  http://carlyleclark.wordpress.com/


Smashwords:  Our book will soon be on Smashwords, but isn’t quite ready yet.



Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

1 comment:

  1. This was a fun interview. Thank you so much. We hope your followers enjoy it and will click our links to learn more about your wild and crazy story! We love to share ourselves and our imaginations with everyone.

    Best to you!


    Suki and Carlyle

    ReplyDelete