Sunday 25 December 2011

Author Interview: Kelsey Miller

Kelsey Miller has written Retribution.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Kelsey Miller. I am from Pennsylvania, but I am now in Massachusetts for school.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
I just published my first book, Retribution. It features a vampire who doesn’t drink blood and a werewolf who is forced into his human form whenever he fights the vampire.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I definitely do! Retribution is the first book in a series, so I am planning to begin working on the sequel shortly.

4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’m not really sure what first inspired me to start writing. Apparently I’ve been writing since I was a couple years old. My mom kept all of these “books”. They’re scribbles. I do remember looking at picture books and making up stories to go along with the pictures since I couldn’t understand the words.

5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Of course! Although I’m a poor college student so hundreds of free books would be outside my economic means. I would say contact me on goodreads or through email and let me know. If you have a blog or something I’d probably be more likely to.

6. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I did everything for my book, including the cover. I don’t own any fancy graphic design software, so to make the cover I took one of my photos for the background. Then I drew the characters on the cover and scanned them into the computer. It was mostly a lot of fiddling around with colors and such. But I’m pretty proud of the end result.

7. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I think book trailers are pretty cool! It’s nice to find out about a book by watching a slick video. Unfortunately I don’t have a book trailer, since I neither know how to make one nor have the software to do it. But one would be awesome.

8. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
Good question! It depends on my level of interest in the book.
Hardcovers: OMG-this-book-is-awesome-I’ll-love-it-forever.
Paperbacks: Yeah, this book is pretty awesome.
E-books: Meh, I just want to know how it ends.

9. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes, and proud of it!

10. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
That question has the potential to have a really long answer. I have read Pride & Prejudice a couple times. Anything John Green related is like comfort food, so his books are well-used. (If you don’t know who John Green is GOOGLE HIM NOW.) If it has the words Harry and Potter in it chances are I’ve read it multiple times.

11. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of its cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
Oh, yeah. You have to get the pretty ones. I’m also guilty of selecting a certain version on goodreads because I like the cover better…

12. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
“Don’t judge a book by its cover” is a cliché for a reason! And I am guilty. But I would also say that books with not as good covers can be great books, and books with stupendous covers can be terrible. I would say a better diagnostic would be to open up the first page and read it.

13. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Unfortunately, yes. It was probably good, too.

14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Right now I’m reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. It’s really good. I never knew that Jobs was such a prankster! I would definitely recommend it if you love Apple. But then again, I would recommend it, period. It’s a hardcover.

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Do NOT stop writing. Writing is hard, and it has to be done by yourself. But you’re not alone; every writer knows how hard it is to keep writing through that wall.
Do NOT let people tell you that your book will never be published. That is crap. With services like createspace and kindle direct publishing you will be able to publish your book, even if it’s not conventionally.
Do NOT write something because you think it will be popular or it is popular. Write about something that interests you.
Do NOT think anything is a stupid idea. You thought it up, it’s probably pretty cool.
Do NOT lose your sanity while writing.
I remember someone telling me to keep reading. That seems like pretty good advice.

16. Where can your readers follow you?










Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment