Tuesday 31 January 2012

Cover Interview: Devon Ashley


1. How did you come up with the cover for your book? 
Well, I wanted something simplistic and pretty. I happened to find a pic of a young woman that resembles my main character Jenna, sitting pretty in a wedding dress. I made it shades of pink to resemble her prom dress and added a slight cloud effect to make it a little more dreamy (since one of Jenna's relationship occurs in dreamland).

2. Who designed the cover of your book?
I pretty much create all my covers. I've been unemployed the past year so paying someone to do it for me just hasn't been in the budget.

3. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written? 
Probably this one cause I actually got to make a pretty one for once. My Immortal Archive books I like to be simplistic and mostly black.

4. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
Well, they are what they are and I'm actually pretty happy with them, but I'm sure if I handed the project over to a real designer they'd come up with something fantastic that would drop my jaw and blow my mind. As for FIB, I would love to change the background and have it look more like the in-between world Jenna experienced in chapter two.

5. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover? 
I'm a sucker for a beautiful cover, so yeah, I've fallen for this.

6. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it? 
Well, I try not to let the cover impact my decision whether or not to read something, but let's be honest, we're all guilty of it at some point. I won't name books but there have definitely been a few I have yet to read cause the cover didn't grasp my attention enough to get me really excited.

7. What is your favourite book cover? 
Of all time? Hmm....I like the Hush, Hush and the Chemical Garden book covers.

8. Would you have different book covers for different countries?  
I can understand the reasoning behind it, but nah...I personally won't do it.

9. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version) 
YES! I actually have the first edition, first prints of the clothbound UK Deluxe Harry Potter books. I liked them best so those were the ones I collected. And it just so happens that the first few books only had like 200 hundred printed so they're now worth more than I originally paid. :)

Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

3 comments:

  1. A cover interview? Brilliant and very original! I've never heard of anything like this before! Great idea!

    Ana
    http://book-spark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention - I LOVE the Hush Hush covers too! Glad you mentioned them. One cover I particularly liked of something I recently read was Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. FIB definitely has one of the best covers I have seen in the indie book market (:

      Delete
  2. gr8 intrview
    you're a awesome journalist rai

    ReplyDelete