Monday 12 March 2012

Author Interview: Kyani Swanigan


Kyani Swanigan has written Everlife.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Hi everyone! My name is Kyani Swanigan and I live in Tustin, California.

2. Do you have a pen name?
I do not.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Well I’m currently promoting my first novel, Everlife, which is set to launch through Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing on March 17th. In 20 words or less, I would say that the book is about a girl named Rose, whose normal life takes an unexpected turn for the worst.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
This book will be a series. Right now I am working on book two along with a big project that a few members of my CHBB fam and I started a few months ago.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I’ve been a writer since I was little, I definitely think that my mom reading to me when I was young got the wheels turning, the stories that she read made me want to write my own. I did fall off the ball for a few years during high school when I wanted to be a stylist and go to FIDM. It’s still a goal of mine, but for now I am focused on the Nyx series.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Well Everlife is my first book and it hasn’t come yet. But I love the idea of gifting books to readers and if given the opportunity I would love to do it. As for reviews, if bloggers were interested then I could send them a PDF copy of my novel.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I had an idea in mind, and together ParaGraphics along with a family friend Robert Phillips, created the awesome image that is Everlife’s cover.

8. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
No, I think the outcome was fantastic.

9. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
I have seen that before and I think it’s a great idea. I would do it.

10. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I went through a ton of names, but from the moment I thought it up, Everlife was the only one that stuck. I wanted something that summed up the book, and sounded like continuation. And nothing else rounded up the meaning of my book better than what I have.

11. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Well I spent a few months going through the book, revising and editing it to make sure that there wasn’t anything that I felt would need to be changed. As of now there is nothing.

12. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I do have a trailer, which can be found on my fan page linked below. I think they are a great way to build a buzz around the book, especially if the trailer is executed well.

13. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
Well I mostly prefer paperback, probably because I don’t own a kindle (lol). But still, I think I just prefer the authenticity of holding the book in my hands.

14. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
No, I am currently published through Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly.

15. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Even if the book is really good, I’m not really one to re-read it. I have re-read the first book in the Gossip Girl series, but only because it has been years since I’ve read the books, and I wanted to refresh my mind.

16. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
I’ve only bought a book because of its cover once, and I’ll never do that again lol. Now the cover will definitely make me pick up a book, but it will not determine whether or not I buy it.

17. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
I have, and it was the worst choice I’ve ever made book wise. Now I understand the benefits of a good cover!

18. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Sadly yes.

19. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I am currently reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins/hardback.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My advice to writers would be to keep on writing. I always stick to this, because even when the journey gets rough or you just want to give up on a story you never should. Once your book is done you will feel so accomplished. Much better than you would feel if you had just tossed it to the side. The best advice that I have been given is by my mom, she always reminds me to tell the story. We’ll be reading through some work that I had done for the day, and if there are certain parts that she feels I need to elaborate more on then I work on it. Usually it pays off in the end.

21. Where can your readers follow you?

Facebook page:

Goodreads author page:

Twitter:


Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world.

1 comment:

  1. Great interview the novel/series sounds interesting. I love the eyes on the cover

    ReplyDelete