Wednesday 29 August 2012

Author Interview: R.M. Prioleau

R.M. Prioleau has written Firebrand and The Necromancer's Apprentice.

1. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say? 
My most recent book is a YA epic fantasy called "Firebrand". A young man with an usual passion is sent on a journey in which he must learn about his purpose.

2. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series? 
Firebrand is book 1 of my first-ever trilogy. Book 2 is slated to be released fall 2012.

3. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing? 
I've always written stories since I first learned to write as a child. My main inspirations include: Brent Weeks, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and Amanda Hocking.

4. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book? 
The cover came to me as I was writing "Firebrand". I worked closely with artist Sarah Ellerton (author/artist of the Phoenix Requiem graphic novel series) by creating a mock-up of how I envisioned the cover, and she worked her magic.

5. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
My favorite cover this far is from "The Necromancer's Apprentice", which is my debut gothic fantasy novella. Sarah captured the setting and character exactly how I envisioned.

6. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
Nothing at all! I think these covers are original, and many people seem very intrigued to read my book based on the covers alone.

7. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I liked the name "Firebrand" which practically explained the main aspect of the book itself. All of the titles in the trilogy have hidden meanings that explain something about the book (or the trilogy as a whole)

8. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
There is always going to be something I would want to change about "Firebrand" (like characters, plot, grammar), because I'm always learning something new as a writer. I love when someone reviews "Firebrand", whether positive or negative. I've learned so much from reader feedback, and I would love to apply them to "The Necromancer's Apprentice" as well..

9. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don't currently have a book trailer, but it's something I would like to do in the near future. I would like to do a live-action one with actors and all the bells and whistles and make it more movie-like. I love watching book trailers, and I even created a board on my Pinterest to showcase some of my favorites. Some of the trailers had enticed me to read the book. I think book trailers are an excellent way to market your book. To get a professionally-looking one can be very costly, however.

10. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I love them all! I guess if I had a choice, I would say paperback. There's nothing like the feel of a physical page between your fingers, and that 'new book smell' :)

11. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I would have to say both? :) I am an indie author who has self-published my books. I do all the marketing, formatting, and anything else that requires a book to get from rough draft to finished product. 

12. Have you ever read a book just based on its cover?
Certainly. I think we all have. One of the main reasons why it's essential to have an eye-catching cover. It is also why I pride myself of having the best cover I can envision for my books.

13. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Sometimes it does, but I've found that some of the most simple-looking, non-appealing covers have turned out to contain some great stories inside. Similarly, I've seen many awesome covers have stories that didn't appeal to me. "Never judge a book by its cover" is certainly true!

14. What is your favourite film based on a book?
The Mists of Avalon

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
You're never too old or young to write. If you have a story to tell, then tell it. The only one stopping you from writing is you. Make some time every day -- whether 5 minutes or 15 minutes -- and write about anything and everything. It could be a great story in the making. I also encourage writers to participate in writing challenges like National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). It's a fun way to keep you motivated to write. The best advice I heard was "write your story -- not someone else's".

16. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
When I'm not writing, I'm programming and developing videogames. I've been a computer geek since childhood.

17. Where can your readers follow you? 

In addition to my website, readers can find me on various social media like Facebook and Twitter. I am also quite active in writing communities like NaNoWriMo, Kindleboards, and Critique Circle.









Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment