Tuesday 7 August 2012

Author Interview: Wendy Delsol

Wendy Delsol has written Stork, Frost and Flock.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Wendy Delsol
Des Moines, Iowa

2. Do you have a pen name?
Wendy Delsol is my real (albeit married) name. My maiden name was Wendy Peck.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
FLOCK, the third and final in the YA STORK trilogy, finds 16-year-old human Stork, Katla Leblanc, tricked into an untenable pact with her infant sister’s life—as well as all of humanity—at stake.



4. Do you have plans for a new book?
I’m simultaneously working on another YA project (this one in the very beginning stage) and an adult novel.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I didn’t start writing until I was—gasp—forty. A frightening bout with debilitating migraines reminded me that life is fleeting. Jane Austen’s PRIDE AND PREJUDICE is the book that made a reader and (eventually) writer of me. Maeve Binchy’s recent death reminded me of the influence both she and Rosamunde Pilcher’s novels had on my writing ambitions. I’m also a big fan of Anne Tyler and Anita Shreve.

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
I’m always happy to offer a giveaway in conjunction with a blogger interview/review.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
My publisher, Candlewick Press, is in charge of jacket and cover design. No complaints here; they do a great job!

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
Probably STORK. I think the image captures Katla’s spunk.


9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
No. And I feel very fortunate to be in this position.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
If and when foreign rights are sold to markets outside of the U.S., Canada, Australia and the U.K., that publisher would produce their own cover (or negotiate with Candlewick to use their artwork).

11. How did you come up with the title for your book?
STORK and FROST were the titles I came up with from the very inception of the series. Both fully captured the story’s theme, in my opinion. Alas, FLOCK was more problematic. Its first title was TIDE (as the cover originally had a different character’s image). Once we opted to go with Penny (Katla’s best friend) on the cover, we had to change the title. It took some brainstorming. FLOCK is meant to convey the critical support Katla’s receives from boyfriend Jack, her family, and friends.

12. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Gosh. I have to say no. I wrote the best book I could and was lucky to have a great publisher and talented editor provide expert advice.

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I do not have a book trailer. It isn’t something that Candlewick offers as a rule. I think the jury is out on the marketing value of trailers. They’re fabulous and interesting, but there’s no evidence that they convert to book sales.

14. What is your opinion on ARCs?
Now ARCs (advance reader copies) or galleys are necessary. In order to generate reviews by professionals (Kirkus, Publisher’s Weekly, School Library Journal, etc.), it’s crucial to have a pre-release version of the book.

15. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
As a reader, I still prefer a physical book. I have no preference between hardcover and paperback (except that paperback is easier on my pocketbook).

16. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
No. I’m traditionally published.
My YA trilogy is published by Candlewick Press. My adult novel, The McCloud Home for Wayward Girls, is published by Berkley (an imprint of Penguin).

17. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I’ve read PRIDE AND PREJUDICE many, many times. I’ve read Anne Tyler’s ACCIDENTAL TOURIST more than once. And I’ve read the Harry Potter books out loud to my sons too many times to count.

18. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
I don’t think so.

19. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
Sure. I’ve absolutely bought a book because a cover spoke to me.

20. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Yes. I don’t read horror, for instance. The cover images alone give me nightmares.

21. What is your favourite film based on a book?
The English Patient.

22. What is your favourite book genre at the moment?
I am an eclectic reader and enjoy books across multiple genres. I’ve been on a bit of a Margaret Atwood kick. I also recently read (and loved!) the SIZE 12 IS NOT FAT series by Meg Cabot. And I usually have at least one YA title on my bedside table at all times.

23. What books have made it onto your wishlist recently? And why?
I met Mary O’Connell at the Iowa City Book Festival in July. Her book, THE SHARP TIME, is definitely on my must-have list now.

24. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I am listening to the audio version of John Green’s WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON. I’m also reading THE WHOLE PACKAGE by Cynthia Ellingsen.

25. If you could invite any four celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why?

Stephenie Meyer
Stephen King (because I think he owes Stephenie an apology)
Colin Firth (because he’s my ultimate Mr. Darcy)
Jane Austen (because she should see Mr. Darcy in the flesh)

26. Do you have any advice for other writers?
Write the book that would keep you turning the page.

27. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing? 
I’m a tennis nut. I follow the pro tour (Federer is my favorite). I play (not well but it keeps me active). And my younger son plays tournaments and high-school tennis.

28. Where can your readers follow you?

Blog:

Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/wendydelsol as Wendy Peck Delsol (my personal page)

Goodreads author page:

Twitter:



Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this interview! I can't wait to read 'stork' can't believe the third book in the trilogy is out already! I have some serious catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the covers on this books and am really looking forward to reading them when i can find some time to!

    ReplyDelete