Thursday 27 September 2012

Author Interview: Dew Pellucid

Dew Pellucid has written The Sound And The Echoes.


1. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
The Sound and the Echoes” is a high fantasy for middle grade and young adult readers, with 27 magical illustrations. There is a see-through, frozen world beneath ours, where our reflections live. They call themselves the Echoes, and we are the Sounds. And now, twelve-year-old Will Cleary is swept into this realm, to help his Echo find a secret passage that will save the kingdom and Will’s family.

2. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I wrote my first short story when I was eight. In elementary school my poems were published in the school paper. In short, literature has been the one subject I was actually good at. So when I grew up, it only made sense that I should lose myself in the realm of storytelling.

3. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
I did in September, 2012, as part of the book launch. I have only a few review copies left, which I’ll be glad to share with anyone who is fascinated by the concept of the story and wants to read the book and write a review. Just contact me at on DewPellucid.com or on GoodReads.

4. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I had a perfect idea of what I wanted on the cover, but since my drawings look more like melted cheese than actual objects, I went exploring until I found the perfect artist. Andy Simmons created the cover and illustrations for the glistening, frozen Echo realm in the middle of a winter storm. It was the perfect inspiration.

5. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
I have never published under the pen-name, Dew Pellucid before. But even if I had, my answer would be the same. This cover is mesmerizing. I love it!

6. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
Since the Echo realm is as chilling whether you live in Canada or Peru, I see no reason to change the cover. We are all story-lovers in our hearts, regardless of geography.

7. How did you come up with the title for your book?
This is the first time someone asked me this great question. The inspiration for “The Sound and the Echoes” came from the Harry Potter series. Hence, the initial title of my novel was: Will, the Sound, and the Echoes. But Katie Kotchman, at Don Congdon Associates (literary agency), recommended cutting the title.

8. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I did, through years of revisions. But now, six years after starting the novel, it is as real to me as a parallel universe. When readers come back and say the same thing, I feel elated. So how can I change something that already exists? It is no longer print on a page; the Echo realm is real.

9. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I love book trailers. Here’s a chance to impart the spirit of the story through the medium of sound and art. I will create a trailer for “The Sound and the Echoes” in the near future. I see it already: An old man in a watery robe sits in a dark cell, flipping through the pages of an illustrated book, and each page reveals a little of the story.

10. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I’ve grown to love eBooks once I started reading on my black-white Kindle. The device pages really look like a book. And now I am able to find rare, out-of-print classics, often for free.

11. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Over 180 literary agents rejected “The Sound and the Echoes” in a period of two years. But I didn’t want to keep the Echo realm locked up in a desk drawer. So I decided to publish on Amazon under my own imprint, Echoland Publications. The book has been so well received by readers, many of which compare the tale to Harry Potter, while saying that this story is completely differently. The fact that readers love the story convinced me to offer the book in paperback and in ePub ebook format as well.

12. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Just that being a writer is the hardest thing you’ll ever do. But if you can’t help yourself… if you love imagining worlds, turning abstractions into concretes, and living vicariously through your characters in a universe perfectly fashioned to your needs, then you’ll be a writer no matter what anyone else says. But while you’re busy writing, make sure you do a lot of living too. Because, in the end, experience comes from living not imagining. Before you can fashion ideas, you have to fill your mind with thoughts, experiences, life’s wisdom.

13. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
I love to sing and play Irish and Scottish ballads on my guitar.

14. Where can your readers follow you?

Visit DewPellucid.com for all my social networking sites.








Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment