Friday 21 September 2012

Author Interview: Paul Xavier Jones

Paul Xavier Jones has written Ameca J And The Legacy Of Menindus.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
I’m Paul Jones, and I live in the Swansea Valley in South Wales.

2. Do you have a pen name?
Yes, I do, it’s Paul Xavier Jones.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My most recent book is called “Ameca J and the Rise of the Serpii”.
Intense epic fantasy for those that love “Lord of the Rings,” or “Harry Potter”

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Ameca J and the Rise of the Serpii is the 4th book in the Ameca J Chronicles. I’ll be working on “No Boundaries,” the sequel to another one of my titles, “Boundary Limit,” which is a contemporary science fiction thriller.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I was first inspired by my late Grandfather, and I started writing in 2003

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes, I do, I believe in letting reviewers judge my work for themselves, so long as they then post reviews for it.

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
My Ameca J covers are taken from significant events within the stories themselves. The most recent ones have been designed by a lady called Kathey Amaral.

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
That has to be the cover for “Ameca J and the Revenge of Rex-Ultar”

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
Not really, I like them all.

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
No, I think they work for all countries.

11. How did you come up with the title for your book?
All the titles for my books are developed when I’m around half way through the story, and I can see the direction its going in.

12. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
No, I’m happy with the way they are, and the reviews so far seem to support this.

13. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don’t have one, but I do think they’re important.

14. What is your opinion of ARCs?
I think they’re a necessary evil.

15. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I like e-books and paperbacks. Not a big fan of hardcovers, and struggle to keep the concentration to enjoy an audio book.

16. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
I’m both. The Ameca J series is published by Storyteller Publishing, an Indie publisher based in the US, while Boundary Limit is self-published through Createspace for paperback and Amazon for the Kindle version.

17. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Yes, lots of them. Everything written by David Eddings, Robert E Howard, all the Tarzan books and of course, Lord of the Rings.

18. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
No, can’t recall ever doing that.

19. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
No, I follow the adage not to judge a book by its cover.

20. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
No.

21. What is your favourite film based on a book?
That’s easy, the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

22. What is your favourite book genre at the moment?
I’m always torn between Fantasy and Science Fiction, don’t think I could choose one over the other.

23. What books have made it onto your wishlist recently? And why?
None for a long time. I find it difficult to read and write at the same time.

24. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’ve recently read “The Relic” on my Kindle.

25. If you could invite any four celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why?
Harrison Ford, because I have enormous respect for what he’s done since Star Wars.
George Lucas, do I need to say any more? Well OK, because he made the greatest film a ten year old boy could ever imagine.
Stephen King, because his is a personal legend and icon.
Tolkien, for the same reasons as Stephen King.

26. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My advice for other writers – never give up, and learn to develop a thick skin when it comes to criticism of your work. Don’t think I’ve ever been given any advice about writing from other writers.

27. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
Yes, I do. I love Rugby Union, and have season tickets for my regional team, the Ospreys. I also like the cinema.

28. Where can your readers follow you?






Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment