Monday 28 January 2013

Author Interview: J.D. Watts

J. D. Watts has written Convergence, Induction and Maelstrom.


1. What is your name and where do you call home? 
I’m J. D. Watts and I live in Central Illinois near Peoria.

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say? 
Maelstrom is the final, heart breaking, rollercoaster ride of a story to complete the Children of Creation Series.

3. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing? 
I’ve always had a creative mind, but never really successfully attempted to write until after my second child was born in 2008. I’d read Twilight and had some ideas so I started playing with the medium of fanfiction. I did that for two years before I got brave enough to venture into writing my own story from scratch. It has been an amazing journey from those first attempts 4 years ago to now!

4. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book? 
I was actually looking around on a stock photography website and stumbled across the photo for the cover of Maelstrom and fell in love immediately. We have a lovely lady by the name of Jennifer Maguire at The Writer’s Coffee Shop Publishing that designs our covers for us!

5. How did you come up with the title for your book?
From the beginning I knew that this book would have the title that would relate in some way to a storm. I threw around Tempest but that’s too well known and has become a bit cliché. As soon as I stumbled across Maelstrom, though, I knew it was perfect.

6. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
Absolutely. In fact I’ve read whole series more than once, namely the Vampire Academy series as well as the Mortal Instruments series. (I’ve got a huge love of YA supernatural fiction)

7. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version) 
No, but I have almost purchased a favorite book after the movie adaptions came out because I loved the images of the movie on the front.

8. What is your favourite film based on a book?
The Lord of the Rings series.

9. What books have made it onto your wishlist recently? And why? 
The next book in the Divergent series is first on my list. I’m DYING to find out what happens next and it’s an amazing series! The next books in the Moral Instruments, Clockwork Prince, and Bloodlines series are up there too! That’s the one bad thing about starting a series that isn’t already complete…I HATE waiting for the next book to come out!

10. If you could invite any four celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why? 
Jesus because it would be so amazing to spend time with him and I would have a gazillion questions to ask him! Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson because they seem like really awesome down to earth people and would love to hear the secret to keeping their marriage going for so many years, especially in Hollywood. Bing Crosby so I could ask him to record at least 20 more amazing, iconic Christmas songs just for me!

11. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing? 
My biggest bit of advice is to keep on writing. This is one of those business where practice makes if not perfect then continually better. The more you write and work with editors, the cleaner and more concise your writing becomes. Don’t become discouraged if it takes some time and effort, because in the end it is all worth it.

12. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing? 
I’ve been known to bake and decorate cakes from time to time, though I’m strictly amateur!

13. Where can your readers follow you? 

All of the links below are good but probably the best is my facebook fan page!




Twitter: @jd_watts





Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment