Tuesday 9 April 2013

Author Interview: Tania Penn

Tania Penn has written The Morning Star.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
Tania Penn - Gig Harbor, Washington

2. Do you have a pen name?
Penn is my name and pen name!

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Forbidden love between Lucifer's daughter, Dawn, and a mysterious boy with a connection to Dawn's imprisoned Archangel mother, Michaela.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes, I am currently writing book 2, "Equinox," with plans for it to be a trilogy.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I have been writing, drawing, and playing music since I was about four years old.  I definitely take after my daddy :)

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Most definitely!

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
I wanted something simple, red and black.  My husband, Michael Hernandez, who happens to be a Production Designer with Dreamworks Animation designed it for me.  I'm a lucky gal!

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
So far, this is my first published book and cover, so it's my favorite :)  Although, for the sci-fi book I am currently writing, he did an amazing one for it!

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
Not a thing.  My husband is a pro!

10. Do you have a playlist in mind for any of your books?  
Oh yes, and as a musician, music is very much an important part.

11. Did you listen to any particular songs whilst writing your books?
The playlist I put together for each story.

12. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
Good question, it's something I never thought about.  I suppose I would though.

13. How did you come up with the title for your book?
I went through several titles - Hell's Angel, Rebel Angel, Hell's Belle, but none of them seemed to fit.  I  also wanted something that represented Lucifer, Dawn and Venus - Lucifer being the "Light Bringer" or "Morning Star,"   Dawn being "First Light,"  and Venus does in fact mean "Morning Star."   The Original title was in fact, "The Morning Light", but I changed it to tie the three together.  Also The Morning Star is representative of a new day or "re-birth," and it's something that happens with Dawn, my main protagonist.

14. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
There may be a few additions I would like to make eventually, but for the most part, I'm happy with how it turned out.

15. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I created one myself before I even knew there was such a thing as a book trailer, using photo's of the actors who inspired the characters!  I think trailers are a great marketing tool, much like a movie trailer.

16. Do you have a “Dreamcast” in mind for any of your books?
Oh yes, I sure do!

17. What is your opinion of ARCs?
I have yet to send one out, because quite honestly, it's something I just recently found out about, and I'm all for sending out ARC's for my next books!

18. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I have all four, but my favorite is the feel and smell of a paperback.

19. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes, ma'am!

20. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
No, other then re-reading through my books I'm writing to make sure I have everything I want in there!

21. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
No.

22. What is your opinion of novellas?
I think they're great…I haven't written one yet, but I'm sure that will change.

23. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
Oh yes.

24. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
If I think the cover looks cheesy, but I like the title, I turn it over to read the blurb on the back to see if that pique's my interest.  Like the old saying, "Never judge a book by it's cover!"

25. What is your favourite film based on a book?
Memoirs of a Geisha was beautiful.

26. What is your favourite book genre at the moment?
It changes daily.  Of course, I'm reading a lot of young adult, since that's what I'm currently writing, but I've always loved mystery and thrillers.

27. What books have made it onto your wishlist recently? And why?
Everything James Patterson!  I'm probably his biggest author-stalker fangirl!

28. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Right now, I'm reading a friend's and fellow indie chick's book - "Wreck Me," by J.L. Mac.

29. If you could invite any four celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why?
Elvis Presley, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Janis Joplin.  Because I'm also a musician, and that would be one hell of a jam night!!

30. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My advice:  Write.  Write some more.  Read a little.  Drink some wine.  Write again.  Repeat!   The best advice given to me:  Once you finish, write something else.

31. Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing?
Kayaking, snowboarding, traveling,  hiking, archery, playing guitar and bass, searching for Bigfoot….

31. Where can your readers follow you?


Facebook page: Tania Penn - Author


Twitter: @twistedtanita

Google+:  Tania Penn






Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment