Sunday 4 September 2011

Author Interview: E. S. Lark


E S Lark has written The Waking Grove and Trueblood's Plight.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Emily Lark and I currently live in Pennsylvania with my husband and our five pets.


2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My most recent book as in finished, or a rough draft? I just finished the first draft of the second book in my middle grade series called Siren's Dance. The book follows a fifteen year old girl named Miya and her adventures in Avalon. Yes, that Avalon ;)


3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I currently have two books simmering in the back of my mind, one of which I plan on writing for Nanowrimo. Both ideas are stand alone, one dystopian/paranormal and the other being an urban fantasy.


4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
My dad really inspired me to start writing. I've been writing ever since I was young and started writing on a daily basis by the beginning of High School.


5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
When I have books ready for review, I plan on gifting reviewers with free eBooks (PDF, Kindle etc.)


6. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
The cover for "The Waking Grove" was something I had stuck in my head and that I did myself. The cover for "Trueblood's Plight" was done professionally by Kristen Buckner, a friend of mine.


7. How did you come up with the title for your book?
A lot of times, my titles tend to name something in the book. For example, "The Waking Grove" is actually the main location where that book takes place. But originally, the title was "Melina", named after the main character.


8.  Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
I'm not sure I'd change anything, but I know a few of my betas have begged me to revive some fallen characters. That's one thing readers will get to know about me...I kill characters. It's never planned, but almost always happens.


9. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
I don't have a book trailer, but I'd love to make one at some point. I think book trailer are a great way to entice new readers. Some readers are more visual while others get excited just by reading a blurb from the back of a book.


10. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
Paperbacks, but I have started reading eBooks. I really like paperbacks because they're something I can touch and smell. Some of my best memories have come from me sitting in a bookstore, devouring books by flipping through the pages. I don't think anything will ever replace that kind of experience. RIP Borders.


11. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
At this time, I'm neither. I have a book out with an agent and depending on the feedback I get from her, I'll either be self-publishing (something I've been researching for years) or going through the process commercially.


12. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I have. I've read "The Black Gryphon" by Mercedes Lackey along with other books from the series at least three times. It's what inspired me to write "Trueblood's Plight".


13. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
Sadly, nothing. I was hoping to pick up "Shiver" today from Borders, but their shelves are pretty bare. I'll have to go into town later in the week to pick it up. Going paperback all the way.


14. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what's the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
The best advice I can give to other writers is to read often and write what you love, but don't compare your work to the books you read. We all have our own writing voice, so never expect your voice to sound like a favourite author. The best advice I've been given is to write the next book. When you're waiting on agents who have fulls of your manuscript, its easy to obsess over your inbox, but it won't do you any good. To keep your mind off the book you have out with the agents, beta readers or editors, write a new book.


15. Where can your readers follow you?


Blog: http://eslark.wordpress.com/


Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/E-S-Lark/260158044008606?created


Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/eslarke


Wattpad: http://www.wattpad.com/user/eslark


Inkpop: http://www.inkpop.com/user/87372/projects


Scribd: http://www.scribd.com/eslark




Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment