Wednesday 15 August 2012

Earth Girl by Janet Edwards

ISBN: 9780007443499
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Pages: 356

Living on Earth is a life sentence.
Home only to those who can’t escape:
Throwbacks, Neanderthals
... And me.

Meet me, Jarra. Earth girl.

It’s the year 2788, and the universe is divided into two different kinds of people: the Norms, who can portal between other planets, and people like me, the one in a thousand who are born with an immune system which doesn’t allow us to leave planet Earth.

Norms come back to Earth for one reason: to study human history. But only if they don’t have to interact with us “Neanderthals” along the way.
Well, I’ve got a plan to change all that.

Call me whatever you like, I’m every bit as good as they are.

And I’m going to prove it to them.

I received an ARC copy of Earth Girl by Janet Edwards from Harper Voyager for review, which I absolutely LOVED reading! I really enjoyed reading about the futuristic technology featured in this book, such as the Portals, which are used to travel quickly from sector to sector, planet to planet and country to country on Earth, within minutes. Another piece of futuristic technology that I really enjoyed reading about were the Lookups, which were futuristic versions of tablet computers used to watch “Vids”, receive video calls and mail messages. The varying careers in Earth Girl were really interesting as well, though I probably would have chosen to study History like Jarra! I especially loved the concept of the Pre-History projects that were on Earth, as I have always loved Archaeology! My favourite part of Earth Girl was the class system. Your class depended not only on which clan you were from, and what job you did but also on something that couldn’t be modified. Your immune system. Even though I found it quite hard to believe some of her actions, my favourite character was Jarra because of her strength and her utter determination. Although I really like the mass market cover of Earth Girl, I prefer my ARC cover. I feel that my ARC cover subtly portrays many aspects of the book within, such as the discrimination of the “Apes”, which is represented with the silhouette of Jarra, insinuating she is just nameless “Ape”.


Available at Amazon.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment