Friday 28 October 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

ISBN: 9780439023481
Publisher: Scholastic
Pages: 374

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 

I had heard many great things about Suzanne Collins' books and at first I was wary of reading The Hunger Games due to its popularity (as I have read many highly rated, popular books before that I feel have fell short). But I wasn't disappointed at all! In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed this futuristic, dystopian story. For such a dark tale, it was beautifully written and as a result I flew through it on my kindle! My favourite characters were Katniss and Gale. Katniss because of her resourcefulness and determination, she instantly won me over, and Gale because of his both rebellious and yet caring nature. Not only did I love both Katniss and Primrose's names but I also loved the explanations behind them. I really like this cover of The Hunger Games as well, it seems to fit in more with the dystopian genre its in. 

Available at Amazon.com & Amazon.co.uk.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Hunger Games and thought Katniss made a great heroine. I especially liked the way she is portrayed as a strong female.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats how i was at first!
    I kept putting them off and putting them off and finally i was like, what the heck! and i'm so glad i read them.
    I read all three books last month and loved them!

    ReplyDelete