Saturday 9 June 2012

Learn Me Good by John Pearson

ISBN: 9781453646687
Publisher: Self / Indie
Pages: 210

Jack Woodson (Duke Engineering, class of '95) is currently living and working in Dallas, TX. He has forty children, and all of them have different mothers.

Jack Woodson was a thermal design engineer for four years until he was laid off from his job. Now, as a teacher (dealing with those forty children), he faces new challenges. Conference calls have been replaced with parent conferences. Product testing has given way to standardized testing. Instead of business cards, Jack now passes out report cards. The only thing that hasn't changed noticeably is the maturity level of the people surrounding him all day.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Learn Me Good by John Pearson! At first, I wasn’t very keen on the book being presented as emails, but as I read further, the layout grew on me. Although I loved reading about a newly qualified teacher’s experiences with his first class, I found the American grade/year system a bit confusing and I would have found the book easier to follow if it had been more thoroughly explained. I loved the way Learn Me Good was written, as whilst it was witty and sarcastic at times, it wasn’t too over the top or preachy. I would definitely recommend this book!

Available at Amazon.co.uk.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review, this sounds good! Although I know what you mean about finding the American grade system confusing, I always get confused by it when I read books!x

    ReplyDelete