Wednesday 8 August 2012

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

ISBN: 9780689865381
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 425

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license - for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

I really enjoyed reading Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, as it reminded me a bit of Lauren Oliver’s Delirium series! Even though at times she could be quite shallow, my favourite character was Tally. Tally was my favourite character because of her courage and her naivety. I enjoyed reading about the concept of the “Pretty” operation, but I have to say my favourite part of the “Pretty” concept was how futuristic and different it is. I loved reading the descriptions of the exaggerated “Pretty” features, and how both Shay & Tally reacted to them. Although I like many of the previous covers of Uglies, I prefer the one that I have on my edition of Uglies. I really like the simplicity of it, as well as the contrasting neon yellow and harsh, grey-black.

Available at Amazon.co.uk.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this series. Scott Westerfeld has a very creative mind. Rachel, thank you for your insightful review.

    Donna O'Donnell Figurski, author of Prisoners without Bars: A Caregiver's Tale.

    donnafigurski.com

    ReplyDelete