Thursday 17 November 2011

Author Interview: Gary Goldstein


Gary Goldstein has written Jew In Jail.

1. What is your name and where do you call home?
My name is Gary Goldstein, and I live in Brooklyn, New York

2. Do you have a pen name?
No, I do not have a pen name.

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
My book is "Jew in Jail," and it is the true story of the nearly six years I spent in state prison in New York for robbery, due to my past addictions to alcohol, drugs and gambling, and my road to recovery.

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I have had another book in my mind for several years now and have many notes, but am first focusing all of my efforts now on promoting and publicizing "Jew in Jail," because I think it is very inspirational and can motivate those who read it to straighten their own lives out if they are addicts or suffering from a loss of self-esteem.  I am also a motivational & inspirational speaker, and love doing this in order to help people as well.

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I graduated from Long Island University in 1983 - where I wrote for the college newspaper - with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Journalism, and have been writing even before that time, for a total of roughly 30 years now.  However, it was the untimely death of my beloved late father, Irving Goldstein, who sadly and unexpectedly passed away on January 23, 1999, while I was still on Rikers Island, waiting to be sent to an upstate New York prison, that ultimately made me decide to write "Jew in Jail" in my father's honor.

8. How did you come up with the title for your book?
The title of my book, "Jew in Jail," was just a catchy title that I came up with myself, because it seems to draw potential readers into my story.

12. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
"Jew in Jail" is self-published through CreateSpace.

14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I am reading "Life Is Not A Stage" by Florence Henderson (Mrs. Brady of the Brady Bunch TV Show!).  I am reading the paperback copy, because I prefer to hold the book physically in my hands.

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
Yes.  To write whatever thoughts cross your mind at any time of the day or evening, in case you decide to write a book one day.  This way, you will have plenty of notes to refer back to.
I was told to never give up, when it comes to trying to get noticed as a writer, especially since my book has a tremendous message that everyone can benefit from.

16. Where can your readers follow you?

     





Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment