Thursday 17 November 2011

Author Interview: J SenGupta



J. SenGupta has written Sapphire Hunting.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
I live in London and I write under a pen name.
2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
Sapphire Hunting. It’s about a search for magical things, and for history, purpose and identity. Also there are battles and running around.
3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Sapphire Hunting is a standalone, I think. It has a beginning, a middle and an end.
4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
Gosh, I can’t even remember. I won a prize in a newspaper poetry competition when I was seven. I won tickets to the circus. Then I won an essay prize when I was ten. I got a trophy cup, which was shiny but otherwise much less fun. I’ve been writing for hundreds and hundreds of years, in essence.
5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes. Definitely, some. But I don’t expect reviews unless the reader feels moved to write them. A gifted book can be a burden; lingering about, looking at you balefully until you get around to reading it, and then there is the pressure of a writing a review. Free book, great. Review copy of book, unfair undeserved punishment. But I give out some review copies anyway...
6. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
Good question. I was sitting having coffee and doodled an idea made up of elements of the story - the primary recurring theme, an eye-catching moment, our protagonists - on a piece of scrap paper. But the cover changed a lot; back and forth with design and comment and redesign.
7. How did you come up with the title for your book?
It describes the story, and was the only title that ever occurred to me.
8. Is there anything you would change about your book? And why?
Oh, I’d make it much, much longer, and describe many more characters, events and places. But it is a young adult fantasy adventure and my enjoyment would lead to clunky pacing and ultimately boredom for others.
There was a scene I liked that took place on the second level of the city where a Dark thing comes in through the window. (It makes sense within the story.) I had to cut it out because the whole set of events was diversionary. *weeps*
9. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
Paperbacks. They are light to carry, don’t get you in the eye with sharp corners and are not expensive to lend or lose.
10. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes. Indie sounds so rebellious. Like being a punk rocker.
11. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
The book I’ve read most often is The Wind in the Willows. I could probably recite it.
12. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’m re-reading Asimov’s Foundation series. In second-hand paperback.


Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment