Monday 28 May 2012

Author Interview: Jade Varden

Jade Varden has written the Deck Of Lies series.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
I’m Jade Varden, and I live in Louisville, Kentucky. 

2. Do you have a pen name?
Yep! 

3. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
I’m putting the final touches on Death (Deck of Lies, #3). This book, third in my Deck of Lies series, brings together the scattered puzzle pieces from books 1 and 2. 

4. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes and yes. I have finished roughing out the outline for Judgment (Deck of Lies, #4), which will conclude the entire series. 

5. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I was inspired to write by reading books, which I’ve been doing for as long as I can remember. I was attempting to write as young as 11, but it’s an ongoing learning process. I like to believe I’ve improved in my grammar and spelling since then. 

6. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews?
Yes, a lot. 

7. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book?
Well I knew right away I wanted to use a Tarot card for the cover, because each book of the Deck of Lies series is named for a Tarot card that serves as the overall theme for what’s going on in the story. All the covers have been and will be designed by Meagan Lampton, a very talented graphic artist who’s local to me. 

8. Which is your favourite cover of all the books you have written?
So far, I like the cover for The Tower (Deck of Lies, #2) best. 

9. Is there anything you would change about your book covers?
Yes! I wish I had all the covers before I ever started writing the books. Waiting for them to be finished is a little nerve-wracking. 

10. Would you have different book covers for different countries?
Interesting question. I hadn’t considered it before, but yes. They’d be much friendlier if they were printed in the home language for each country where they’re sold, wouldn’t they? 

11. How did you come up with the title for your book?
The idea of using Tarot cards came to me early, because it’s a reference to one of the characters in the books (who appears early). But the books are ultimately about trying to find the truth behind a lot of secrets and deception. So to marry the two ideas together, I decided to call the series Deck of Lies. 

12. Do you have a book trailer? And what are your thoughts on book trailers?
Yes I’ve made three so far, and my thoughts on trailers is that they’re pretty hard to make! It’s a time-consuming process. 

13. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I prefer e-books and paperbacks. I find hardcovers a little unmanageable, and audiobooks don’t really appeal to me. 

14. Are you a self-published / Indie author?
Yes I am. 

15. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it?
I read books I like again and again. There are many books I’ve read a dozen times or more. My favorite book is Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell. 

16. Have you ever bought a specific edition of a book because of it’s cover? (For example a UK, US or Canadian version)
No. 

17. Have you ever read a book just based on it’s cover?
Yes, quite frequently. In most cases, in fact. 

18. Has the quality of the cover of a book ever put you off of reading it?
Absolutely. I saw a really horrible cover just recently, where the word placement was very oddly done, but the blurb was extremely enticing. I sat and debated on whether I wanted to read that book for five minutes because the cover was so off-putting. 

19. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I’m reading the e-version of The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer, a children’s/young adult novel by Lisa Orchard. I plan to review the book for Amazon and my blog. It’s quite well-written, so far. 

20. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
I would advise other indie authors to get involved with the indie community. Join forums, follow blogs, interact on Twitter. The best advice I’ve ever been given is to read my own work. 

21. Where can your readers follow you?

Blog: http://jadevarden.blogspot.com/

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jade-Varden/300695563318891

Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5414964.Jade_Varden

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/JadeVarden

Other: http://www.wix.com/jadevarden/jv

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=la_B006QD4LUA_sr?sort=relevance&search-alias=books&field-author=Jade+Varden

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/JadeVarden

Other: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/jade-varden





Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment