Friday 24 August 2012

Author Interview: Robin Burks

Robin Burks has written Zeus, Inc.


1. What is your name and where do you call home?
I am Robin Burks and I am from Hayti, Missouri. Of course, when I'm in Paris, I pretend that's my home. It's so much more glamorous!

2. What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or less words, what would you say?
The name of my book is Zeus, Inc. To sum it up, it's about a private detective in the year 2069 who has been hired to find Joseph Brentwood, the CEO of a mysterious company called Zeus, Inc. It's a cross-genre novel, encompassing a little sci fi, supernatural and fantasy.

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I am currently writing the first of a science fiction trilogy called The Book of Revelations. Zeus, Inc., though is also part of a series called The Alex Grosjean Adventures. I think the follow-up just might features vampires, but in a way we haven't really seen them before.

4. What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing?
I never considered myself a writer, although I've been writing for as long as I can remember. In high school, I wrote quite a bit and did so in college, as well. But I never considered writing a novel until recently. A friend of mine talked me into NaNoWriMo and that really gave me the kick in the pants that I needed to believe that I could be a writer.

5. Do you gift books to readers for book reviews? 
Yes, I do, occasionally.

6. How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of the book?
I designed the cover myself. Fortunately, I am also a freelance web and graphic designer. And I felt that only I would be able to come up with what I felt was a good representation of the book. For me, that was featuring the main character, Alex Grosjean, front and center, as this really is her story. I had an idea in my mind of what she looked like and scoured a lot of stock photography sites until I found the perfect model. The background is actually a shot of Memphis, TN, that I took a few years ago - Memphis is where the novel takes place.

7. How did you come up with the title for your book?
Interestingly enough, the title came before the book. I had a very strange dream and in it, the company was called Zeus, Inc. And this dream sparked the entire story.

8. What is your opinion on ARC's?
I think ARC's are vital, especially for self-published authors like myself. Getting that initial feedback (as well as being able to catch editing things you might have missed) is extremely helpful. 

9. Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hardcovers or audiobooks?
I am an e-book reader. It's funny because I always swore that actual physical books could never be replaced. But then I saw a demonstration of a Nook and immediately realized that it was the best thing ever invented for the avid reader. I can now carry thousands of books without breaking my back. I am always reading and that makes it very convenient. As a writer, I choose to go with e-books as it's obviously much easier to publish.

10. Are you a self-published/indie author?
Yes. For me, it was important just to get my story out there as quickly as possible.

11. Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so, what was it?
There are several books I've read multiple times. I think I've read the entire The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series at least a dozen times, I've also read many of Guy Gavriel Kay's books multiple times and I've read Stephen King's "The Stand" at least three times. 

12. What is your favorite film based on a book?
I'm going to have to go with the entire Harry Potter series. I love both the books and the films. Although much was left out in the movies, I still felt they were a good representation of what J.K. Rowling wrote.

13. What books have made it onto your wishlist recently? And why?
The only book I'm really looking to read as soon as I get caught up on all the others I'm reading is "Odd Apocalypse" by Dean Koontz. I just love the Odd Thomas series that he writes.

14. What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format?
I am currently reading a few different books. I'm reading an ARC of The Kirkwood Project by Andrew Sturm. I'm also getting caught up on the Locke & Key comics. And I'm reading Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver, which is the sequel to Delirium. 

15. Do you have any advice for other writers? And what’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing?
My best advice would be just to write. I know a lot of writers that talk a lot about writing, but I still haven't seen any work that they've done. It's important to write and get it out there and let others read what you've done. But the best advice that was ever given to me was more of a statement: "If you write, you're a writer." I owe that to James Moran.

16. Do you have any hobbies that aren't related to reading and writing?
I am involved with a local community theatre group and I have been known to be obsessed with Doctor Who. 

17. Where can your readers follow you?









Thankyou so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your writing world!

No comments:

Post a Comment